Friday, November 12, 2010

Bittersweet Ordinary

(Since no one reads my blog anymore - and for good reason since I don't update it - this one's just for me ;)

Today is one of those normal kind of days.

The ones that happen over and over all in a row. They all begin to run together unless something out of the ordinary happens. And by "out of the ordinary" I mean like a birthday party or going to Gram's or something.

Yeah, these are the days that I stay in my PJ's half the day 'til nap time when I take a shower and throw on whatever T-shirt and shorts I most likely wore yesterday. Cami wears play clothes that usually don't match and Kaylin sports a baby sleeper. We sometimes have a Blue's Clues marathon or watch a few Mister Rogers 'sodes while building a play ground with blocks for Noah's animals.

Today the weather is unarguably perfect and we are out back on the porch enjoying every bit of it. Kaylin just finished nursing (which took all of 10 minutes) and she's chillin' in her walker, kicking her chubby feet.
Cami is wearing a stained shirt and "mom jeans", playing very well by herself. She goes back and forth between her water/sand table and her bowl of bird seed (the new favorite toy around here.) There are also water guns, shells, sidewalk chalk, and from what I just heard, a bug participating in her activities. Her little $3.00 yard sale tricycle is parked on the patio waiting for her to remember it. The bouncy house is resting deflated in the grass. Harley is lapping up stale bird seed as he finds it scattered about. It's 73 degrees in the shade (THIS is why I live in Florida!)

I don't want to forget this day. There's nothing special about it except that it's part of my life right now that will one day soon be gone and I will miss it and wish I could have just 5 minutes of it so I could feel this feeling again. I take the feeling for such granted! The feeling I feel every single ordinary day in this season of my life. It's not even a conscious or noticeable feeling. Maybe that's what is so bittersweet about it. I could've sat down and recorded details of yesterday and have had an almost identical post.

But today is the one.

Nothing special about it, yet special now.

I just chose one of those ordinary days, in the middle of so many. I captured it before it escaped into history and became a blurry link in the chain of days spent this way for a season.

November 12, 2010... you lucky Friday, you!

**********************************************************

Cami is now experimenting with water and bird seed. She has various sized containers and keeps dumping her watery seed mixture back and forth, each time spilling some on the concrete. Soon she will wonder why there isn't anymore to dump and she will ask me where it went and beg me for more ingredients.
She is making a huge mess.
She is learning.
She is being two.
The past me would be getting my panties in a wad over something like this. I wonder what the future me would do. . .probably be finding her more ingredients. I'm somewhere in between right now.
Today's funny phrase for Cami is "monkey poopy." She occasionally and randomly blurts it out and laughs hysterically as though proud of herself for discovering the hilarious combination of words.

Okay, my panties almost wadded just now when she attempted to pour a bucket of her mixture on her head.

The baby is letting me know it's nap time. Cami's play clothes are soaked. I'm sure her Crocs are filled with mushy bird seed.
I just announced that it's almost nap time and she countered with, "Know what!? Now we can do different stuff! We can go play inside!" Nice try.

One day, sooner than I want it to, my ordinary will change and never be this again.












7 comments:

  1. I cried, with a thankful heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jill. What an encouragement to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. Now I'm fighting back tears. Maybe warn me next time you write a post like that. Also, you need to write a book :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This took me 3 times as long to read as it normally would have. By the time i got to the second part, my eyes were pretty much warped shut with water, and i spent a few minutes trying to get to read the second part. Then, when i finished the second part that was worse (better) than the first, I had to wait an impatiently extra 3 minutes to view all the pics bc my hands were acting as a towel to dry the ocean formed in my eyes.

    It makes it that much more wonderful to anyone reading who has kids bc they can relate to the same emotions as you have relayed. It was absolutely wonderful and i'm so thankful for this post. It was extra special to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. aw, you guys are too nice.
    i was just bored and had all these thoughts crowding my little mind...
    i guess this is a good outlet for them :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. SUCH cuties!! Loved reading about your "ordinary" day!!
    LOVE YOU!
    Chrissy

    ReplyDelete
  7. See, people still read your blog! Just takes some a little longer than others :) Thanks for the great read!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me your thoughts...